Friday, November 4, 2016

Reading - Talk Unit

We are in our Talk unit of instruction. Essential questions for this unit are: Why do readers talk about books? And... How do readers talk about books?

During this unit we work with partners each day to discuss books and deepen comprehension. The students are enjoying getting to know their partners as readers, help with decoding, and have deeper conversations about what they are reading! 

We are really focused on the back and forth conversation skills that are key to productive partner interactions. Students are learning to say something to their partner, listen, take turns, and ask questions back to get more information from a partner. Here are some of the prompts we have been working on:

I can say something to my partner. This means I...
- notice my thinking as I read.
- retell my books.
- share my thoughts that include:  questions, wonderings, predictions, visualizations, etc.
use evidence to support my thinking.


I can say something  back to my partner.  This means I...
- ask my partner questions.
- listen closely.
- use phrases that help keep conversations going.

No comments:

Post a Comment