Sunday, August 19, 2018

Units of Study and Essential Questions

Before we dive into our academic lessons we will be spending time building routines and procedures in order for lessons and work time to run smoothly. After we establish these routines for each subject area, this is the direction we will be going! For each unit of study we will be referring to our essential questions. Every week or two I will blog about the specific skills and learning activities we are completing for units. My hope is that these updates help parents engage their students in conversations about the learning that is taking place in our classroom!

Writing - Unit: Small Moment/Personal Narratives
Essential Questions:
-What habits help me build stamina?
-How do I write tricky words?
-How do I stretch out a personal narrative?

Math - Unit: Addition & Subtraction 1 (later in the year there will be a second unit which builds upon this and other mathematical learning)

Essential Questions:
-How does knowing many strategies help me to be a better problem solver?
-How can the relationship between addition and subtraction help me to solve problems?
-How can I communicate my math thinking?

Reading - Unit: Building Good Reading Habits
Essential Questions:
-What habits help me as a reader?
-What do I do when words are tricky?
-How do reading partners work together?

Social Studies - Unit: What is a Citizen?
Essential Questions:

-What makes an effective community?
-How can I help make my community a better place to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment